Which "jednohubky" (refreshement) did you like the most?

Thursday 11 March 2010

Post No.14

Globalization and Citizenship - this is the name of a module which is obligatory for us. In general this has been a very hot topic lately and maybe that is the reason why we should attend these classes and learn about societies and their differences. However, I must say that I was insulted when I heard how important democracy is and that it is the only right way to live. Of course, I was born into a democratic society and I am happy that I didn't find out what the life in the communist era really looked like BUT I think that every single nation has got a right to choose how to govern themselves and how to make politics. What is good for us is not good for somebody else. Please, don't forget that you teach people about tolerance! The thing which caused me the biggest shock from the whole beginning of my ERASMUS stay was the sentence that we really MUST fight for our democracy (that's true in a certain point of view) and we MUST spread it everywhere, so everyone will live in a democratic country. Oooh, is this the tolerance you've been talking about? I am sorry, I don't think so. Even from the historical point of view, nothing which was simply brought to some place never succeeded or at least it caused severe damage in the later years. Let just other nations and societies find their own way and find the emancipation themselves. What I want to say is that everyone should have his own opinion about these issues and should be tolerant to others with their own ones. Teach us about globalization and citizenship but don't tell us what to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment